Friday 29 September 2017

Warwickshire Avon – Tits and Tintinnabulation

I’d say 5 to 8 hours is about my limits for a day’s fishing, ok, maybe it doesn’t help as a suffer of restless leg syndrome as I find it difficult to stay to one spot but….

a 24 hour Barbel session, you what !!!!

TWENTY FOUR HOURS !!!!

I saw it on a forum the other day and find it hard that some people put themselves through that pain. I assume bite alarms, bed chairs and bivi’s are used, because when do you sleep FFS…?

What do you do when you have to ‘drop the kids off at the pool’

And believe you me, I can have up to three bowel movements a day.

Shower and a wash, yeah, enlighten me….


As much as I love fishing these long sessions are not for me, that am for sure. Ok maybe I can see the appeal if you fish for huge French mud sifters and you coincide it with a holiday where sun is guaranteed as are the many barbecues. As I suppose the social aspect if you’re sharing a swim with a mate, would be pretty good as I enjoy a weekend away from the family from time to time.

But 24 hours sat in one of the swims I fish, not a chance. I’m a fishy philanderer at heart, a room by the hour sort of man.

Dayuse.com for those with more nefarious pursuits.

I’m more a wait for the ding, and then finish by the bell at the end of the 6th round.

Yes you’ve guessed it, and I'll say it again, long stints are not for me.


So with some water on, with a little tinge of colour this was a quick after work session (2.5 hour) at an area a little away from the well trodden but an area that I suspect is a transitional route for the Barbel where especially when the water is up the much needed limbo turns in to a tail flick meander.

I largely discounted it after fishing a few times and only banking a small Barbel that nearly ripped the rod off the rest and a couple of chub at last knockings, but a sharing of info from a fellow club member, my hunches were ruffled again.

As with many of my posts and sessions, preparation is involved.

So rods made up, pva bags, even hairs baited.

A quick hope over the meadow, settle in the swim.


The water looked lovely, 5 or 6 inches on with a nice colour to it, to be honest I should have had some deadbaits with me as it looked ideal for Zander. With rods out for an hour with the odd pluck and pull eventually headed in to dusk the rod was getting attention. I'd love to know what was going on under the water because the left rod was moving to a rhythm and then eventually

WHAM !!!

It eventually hooped over and the tip was riverward, I fully expected to connect to a fish because it was such a characteristic Barbel bite, but wtf, I didn't connect.

Bait back out, damn....

With ten minutes to go and adhering to the club rules the right hand rod goes and I'm taken off guard, this time with the bank slippy, I've gone arse over tit and banged my backside on one of the wooden steps cut in to the bank, arhhhhhhh !!!!


The Chub barely scrapped two pounds and I'm car bound with tail firmly between ones legs. I bumped in to two club members just leaving and they only had Chub so at least wasn't just me that blanked for Barbel.

This weekend I'm on family duties, need to get more fishing in, especially during the week, so venues might have to change and an area I can fish in to dark will be on my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I've been contemplating and likely to carry out my plan of a 2day 3night Barbel session on the Trent soon, I've got itchy feet too. I suppose I'm going to struggle, but as long as I'm kept occupied then I won't feel it so much, the "dropping off the kids" as you aptley described is easy, a bush and ample big roll, enough to make the Chelsea fans cringe. Just hope a dog walker doesn't find it...... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. James you're more of a man than me :) and I value your resolve. To be honest I've a weekend away on the Lower Severn the first week in November with a mate, so no need to appease the family. So looking forward to fishing well in to dark, however I'll have a comfy bed and a cottage with a log burner. I'm too old to rough it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...