Monday 15 April 2013

Snitterfield Reservoir - 14.04.13

Snitterfield Reservoir can be hard fishing the best of times and today was no exception. It's deep, very deep and takes ages for the water to warm up. When the fish are active it's usually a bite a chuck, today it was one bite in 4 hours and judging by the other anglers who were struggling, it wasn't just me.

The only fish I caught a small Tench fell to this rig a small inline lead with size 14 barbless hook on a short hooklink, a quickstop held the small SBS corn floating and sinking boilie with a pva mesh bag full of hemp and corn.


I also had a margin float rod out and tried various hook baits such a soft pellets, corn and worm, but couldn't even muster up a single bite. 
 

Judging by the lack of fish topping I'm going to leave this venue alone for a month or so. Even Twig the baliff said he had been struggling and if Twig isn't catching then no one will, last week in five hours, one bite resulted in one fish.

The already featureless reservoir has been made even more featureless buy some extensive tree pruning and felling. I assume a good reason for it but one of my favorite swims that I fish for crucians in the summer no longer has the overhanging branches that give the fish some cover.


Just a quick note, some sad news, Stuart from Stuart's Angling in Stratford-Upon-Avon died a few weeks ago, I know he had been ill for sometime so not unexpected.

Talking of Stratford-Upon-Avon, the angling clubs AGM was a week ago and although I couldn't go, sounds like it was well attended. From one of my previous posts I mentioned they were in trouble, they might have had to close the club down or lose some of their waters. Anyway it sounds like they have voted to increase subs to £40 for seniors and £20 for concessions. If everyone who was a member last year re-joins then they should just about cover most of the rents.

Not sure where to fish next weekend, might even give Arden Fisheries in Snitterfield a try, or even Moreton Springs in Moreton Bagot.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Mick. I know poor catches don't make for great reports, but it's valuable information for other club members who are looking in.

    I was thinking of a making a return to Snitterfield this week, but it looks like another struggle is likely. Mind you I can struggle anywhere right now!

    I thought the tree clearance looked a tad on the brutal side. Like you, I'm assuming there's a good reason for removing the features that were on offer. I used to like the peg nearest the parking area - with the tree/bush being a great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peg I loved was just a few pegs down the road from the first drop-off point, some lily pads and a overhanging tree, a great swim for the crucians and the swim I got that 19lb mirror. The tree is no longer there though, so not sure if it will fish the same. Oh and for those fishing snitterfield for the first time, the steep banks are very slippy so take care.

    It's still cold overnight so I suspect the fish are not at their active best. Best of luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...