Monday 13 February 2017

Warwickshire Avon - Lucid Dreams

Overboard, I’m now in the relatively shallow, blue clear water.

The coral is vibrant, fish life in abundance, I feel at home taking in the visual spectacle that is before me.

I begin to explore, the mask and snorkel unobtrusive.

A couple of small leopard sharks and a few rays meander past but then further in the distance they about turn, hmmm not sure what’s spooked them.

My vision goes blurry, Whoooooooooooshhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!! I’m being pulled up, the G powerful.


Then I’m above quickly above the surface, looking at myself swimming in these South Pacific waters but I can still feel a connection like an umbilical cord.

Not visual but by mind.

My eyes focus on something dark, it’s a slow moving shadow with the silhouette of the sinister.

It’s a large shark, a Great White if I’m not mistaken. I can see myself facing the other way, I need to do something.

In a flash, I’m dropping through the sky at pace. The waters coming closer as is the shadow.

Spllllllllllllasssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!! I’m now in the water, returned to one’s body and my arms and feet flailing in all directions, I’m panicking, I’m shouting. I cannot hear properly.

It’s a dream, I know it is, so let’s wake up. NOW !!!

Back in the room, my heart is beating ten to the dozen, the Wife wondering what’s going on.

I woke up at the right time, though.


Time to get my fishing gear together and get after those Zander.

Now Lucidity occurs during altered states of consciousness and when you realise you are dreaming your brain switches to waking mode in your dreams.

You see in normal dreams, your self awareness is shut down. That’s why they often feel distance and cloudy, but when lucid, the brain wakes up during sleep and your senses become alive, leaving you to explore the inner workings of one’s unconscious mind with total freedom.

It’s scientifically proven too, Keith Hearne a British parapsychologist used a grass polygraph to record sequences of ocular signals and therefore catching pre-determined conscious eye movements from a lucid dreaming volunteer.

I don’t have them ‘that’ often but the ability to control the dream once you have twigged that you are actually in a dream is something to enjoy not be scared of. With lucid dreams, you are always asleep in bed.


Anyone can have a lucid dream too, recognising the dreamstate is the biggest hurdle and habitual recognition is the key to achieving it. Meditation for starters, to focus your mind on demand. Visualisation which is to enter the lucid dream state from waking, dream journaling which is to cement dream memories in the waking world or mnemonic techniques to try and produce spontaneous lucidity in dreams.

I’ve taken an interest you can see such are some of the dreams I’ve experienced. I’m sure it helps me being a relatively light sleeper as being in and out of consciousness is often my usual pattern of sleep.

Now I don’t do any of that or take a herbal concoction of Mugwort and 5-HTP but I do often eat food rich in vitamin B6 and tryptophan which gives dream production a kick start. Chicken, prawns, eggs, brown rice and porridge oats, oh and blue cheese in moderation which does give me some of the most bizarre dreams but those are left for special occasions, I’ve my athletic figure to maintain after all.

So the session well back to the Avon, back out with deadbaits and also the remainder of the fillet steak. To be honest when I looked out of the window I was in two minds to go or not, it was miserable. Cold, with lots of drizzle so not particularly appealing, but with the Poncho donned and all the winter gear on, I was dressed for it.

I settled in the first swim with dead positioned and steak out. It didn't take too long either as the tip was pulled round and I was in to a fish. It was giving a good account for itself too and doing what Chub do. Eventually netted it went 4lb 8oz on the scales. A longish fish too at 54cm's, shame it hadn't got it's winter coat on as might even have made 5lb.

Dave turned up not long after and settled in a swim upstream to do some double dipping as well, with Zander and Chub being his target.

Back to my swim the deadbait rod now springs in to action and I'm in  to a fish. A small Pike took a liking to the Roach section.


Then all went dead....

Two more swims not a sausage, well apart from a pull and a nibble on the steak which didn't result in anything.

So back to one down where I started, with rods out again. Two anglers turn up complete with fancy umbrella and trolley and get their deadbaits out.

By this time I had enough so I decided to call it a day. Dave was on the move too being relatively biteless in the first swim.

A text later from him, looks like it was a tough day for all. A Barbel angler who was downstream blanked as did Dave and the two other anglers who sat it out in my original swim.

Cannot have good session all the time can we. Now there is some milder weather on the way again, so who knows, might give the Barbel a go again.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...