Monday 14 March 2016

Warwickshire Avon - A Surprise PB

Despite the river dropping like a stone over the past week the sluice at Lucy's Mill was wide open and the river was like a raging torrent. Luckily there are some slack areas that make a few swims fishable. The river had been over the benches and in the fields, flooded the Rec park and it had been as high as I'd seen it since the major floods of 2008.

The amount of floating debris was bordering on the obscene but you cannot catch fish if you haven't have a bait in the water now can you.



The weir currents seem to vary so a nice slack turned in to white water and after 3 cold wind uncomfortable hours with just the odd tap on the two deadbaits it was time to move downstream to get the sun in my face and to make the fishing session more palatable. Considering the closed season starts tomorrow I'm surprised I was the only angler present. Then again most will be at work, I decided to spoil myself with a day off, as a contractor and the 3 other mouths to feed it was not to be taken lightly. 

The previous week had been a bit of a nightmare with all the family ill so my usual knackered sleep pattern ended up even more knackered, it was much needed battery recharging.


I was after Zander but I like to hedge my bets when fishing so I also bought some cell boilies and some bright red pop-ups and whilst watching the rod tip on the main rod I made a hair rig for carp, swapped the hook-link over and whacked the rod on a bite alarm and sat back for the last hour.

The largest stretch of the Warwickshire Avon I fish..
Sometimes in fishing the story writes itself but as a Polish guy who was just walking past having finished on his phone after previously pacing up and down the bait runner screamed off and a fish was on....

Not the greatest of fights and I was surprised when it eventually surfaced easily the biggest carp I'd caught and a bonus it came from the river. It's not secret the Warwickshire Avon contains carp but I rarely get anywhere near them.

A proper chunky 20lb 7oz mirror and easily a PB, an escapee ? possibly looking at the mouth, however certainly most welcome and being over 20lb a Bruce'y Bonus of 10 for the bloggers challenge, the only bonus of my fairly average season.

Lovely Jubbly....


A 20lb 7oz Warwickshire Avon Carp

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic Mick, and whoever you pressed into action for the photo did you a good turn there. What a way to end the season. I can imagine it was one of those "more in hope than expectation" ploys that every so often works out and scares the shit out of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely have any luck when I'm fishing but the Gods were looking over me today :) well chuffed with what easily could have been a blank

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely fish Mick, just a shame about the mouth.

    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it had been caught for a long time, other than the deformed shape it was in excellent condition.

      Delete
  4. Nice one Mick. Here's looking forward to more PB's come the new season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if I catch anything like you've banked this season then Martin,then yes, should be a good season

      Delete
  5. Belting finish to the season Mick. River carp have been very scarce in the challenge. Nil points for me today (I also sneaked a day off!), so unless someone has pulled a rabbit from the hat, your second place is assured. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I fluffed my chance when I hooked an lost one of the wild carp I know the whereabouts of at the start of the season. Yesterday was one of those moments in fishing I rarely get, as it usually doesn't happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking river carp, Mick. A welcome end of season bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ben, I certainly didn't think the day would end like that.

      Delete
  8. Cracking fish Mick, what an end to the season.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...