Saturday 5 January 2019

Warwickshire Avon – Gnashers and Gnathites

I stumbled upon this article again recently, that did make me laugh, you see a police force's e-fit of a burglary suspect has been mocked for its resemblance to the Cheshire Cat which famously appeared in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, while others were reminded of the acid tripping psychedelic 1960s cartoon rockers the Banana Splits.


Warwickshire Police published the mock-up of the toothy fugitive on Twitter, but his super-sized grin attracted more hilarity than help. It drew a wave of comparisons to wide-mouthed cartoon characters including Zippy, from 80s kids' TV favourite Rainbow, and Batman villain the Joker.

The force said it had "anticipated the reaction" to the image.

It posted its appeal in a bid to trace a man wanted in connection with a distraction burglary in Stratford-upon-Avon.

The accompanying image showed a suspect sporting a black beanie hat, five o'clock shadow and an impressive set of teeth which saw one user dub him Mr Gnashers.

Internet users with clearly nothing better to do were chomping at the bit to reply to the post, which has been retweeted more than 1,000 times.

Apparently the incident happened in Stratford-upon-Avon between 14:00 and 14:36 GMT on 5 February 2018.


Police said two men claiming to be from Orbit Housing tricked their way into a flat in Hertford Place, with one distracting the occupant a woman in her 40s while the other searched the property. 

The thieving gits left with a quantity of cash.

Warwickshire Police confirmed the e-fit was real and had been created based on a description provided by the victim. The force said it hoped the extra attention would help catch the criminal faster and….

….Mick Newey from Stratford-Upon-Avon said thanks for reminding me to try and catch some huge mouthed Chub as he’d neglected this stretch for a while.


So yes after a very cold but oddly dry and frost free night  I was back trudging once more, one of my favourite stretches of the Warwickshire Avon to try and catch a chunky Chub or two. It’s a great stretch to fish in a cold snap as it’s a rovers anglers river, none of this sat in one spot lark, which, when it’s cold certainly tests ones extremities.

Bread as bait with liquidised bread as feed, could I winkle one of the chunky Chevins that live here out from the low and clear river. They are always even more cautious than they usually are, but use some stealth and consideration, one or two usually comply to give a bed in the rod.


Now I baited 5 swims with some bread and then started at the top and worked my way down, a small chub took a liking to my breadflake almost straight away, probably on the drop it was that quick, it's a small river though so once it's disturbed even if you retain a fish in the landing net usually that's it. The next swim a cormorant catches sight of me, make a mess of the swim and flies off,

Arrrrrrrhhhhhhh !!!!

So on to the next swim, again a fish took it on the drop and a proper pull round on the rod I connected in to nothing, another piece on, again the 1oz quiver pulling round confidently after a couple of minutes in the water.


Now this happened 4 times or so and the last time I struck and got caught in the rushes. Giving it a tug it eventually came out, so breadflake back on, again in the same spot and let it drift down.

Now this time though I connected in to a fish and then all hell breaks loose, the fish is trying to get under a raft with me hanging on for dear life. The 1.25TC TFG River and Stream rod bent double and  I'm quickly feeling undergunned. The hook is tied on  direct to the 6lb Maxima through, so no weak link having had issues in the past, but one last gasp run for it, the hook pulls out of the fish, Damn !!!!!


It felt a cracking fish as well and having caught my PB and plenty of 4lbers here, this was well up there, maybe beyond on what I've hooked before. After the lost fish I quickly got another bait out but no fish were forthcoming, even when I returned to swim before I headed back.

So three further swims fished and one small Chub caught and eventually something to take a picture of a nice, 3lb 6oz fish that liked again a big piece of bread. To be honest with it low and clear as it is I was suprised I managed to catch a few, just goes to show a bit of feed and also being quiet and stealthy can pay off.


It's on the second Chub down here I've lost to a hook pull, it must have been a good'un such the doing over it gave me, but hey, this is why we love fishing, what was that on the end of my line and I must come back here and fish again.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...