Monday 18 August 2014

We're rolling

I only managed a short session at the Warwickshire Avon the weekend so I didn’t manage to get to fish all the swims I intended to fish but with the river to myself I still had lots of water to explore. It had dropped significantly since last time I fish it and was back to clear again but luckily still has some pace to it which should help with the method I was using. If I fish a moving bait I tend to use a float with a large shot to get the bait down so it just drags bottom, it’s proved successful in the past, especially for the Chub.


This rig was slightly different though,the classic rolling rig, the version I use is a shot it pinched on the line and some plasticine is moulded around it with a long shank hook is tied directly to the main line. Bait was garlic spam cut in to cubes and then the edges trimmed to make it more mobile when it ‘rolls’ over the river bed. The hook is buried so if the bait is static and short lift of the rod gets the bait moving again. The plasticine can be adjusted to suit the flow, you want the bait to sink, hug bottom and movable by the flow.



Ok I’ve only fish this method a few times but it’s a great roving method and you can explore lots of water. Despite me being a novice I’ve never blanked using the method. I had some pellets as loose feed as it’s surprising sometimes a swim might look devoid of fish but a handful of pellets draws the hiding fish away from their lairs.





I managed to fish all the available swims and managed a Chub in all but one of them, nothing huge, the biggest around 3lb. 7 or 8 Chub though so an enjoyable session. No Barbel graced my hook but I did spot a couple with my Polaroid’s that were swimming amongst the thick streamer weed, what a sight. Talking of sights anyone else noticed the amount of Kingfishers that seem to around. The way the hug the water’s surface at the pace they do is such a spectacle l and it’s a privilege to witness it.

2 comments:

  1. What a cracking bit of river Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this bit , but was busy for a few trips . Did you see the swim me and sue made behind the big willow in your pics ?, barbel over the far side ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...