Monday 10 February 2014

A Snitterfield Sergeant


I’ve never caught or even seen a picture of a specimen Perch being caught at Snitterfield Reservoir, no reason why there shouldn’t be big’uns within its largely uncharted depths, plenty of prey fish for them to feast on where they are top dog and it’s a match fishing venue predominately so they are not specifically targeted. In the summer months I fish the crater for the crucians or big carp where fishing a big lobworm under a float you could catch any number of different species before even catching a Perch.

I decided to have a bash this morning though as there was a limited weather window where it wouldn’t be raining and Warwick Racecourse reservoir might be off the cards as there was potentially a race meeting on. It also helps that the high banks provide some sanctuary from the wind at the miserable weather we have been having and being stupidly deep about the only thing that would be braving the cold waters would be the Perch. With lobworms on both rods there might have even been a chance of a big Roach which I know live here.

Perch like structure and features so I decided to fish near the overflow and platform area of the reservoir which just happened to be the calmest area. Red maggots were catapulted in to the swim to try and attract the smaller fish for the Perch to home in on. The water resembled a muddy puddle so would probably be a difficult morning.



Best laid plans and all that, as the first two fish were small bream around 3lb but then a cracking bite where the bobbin hit the butt I was playing a decent fish. When the fish came to the surface it was indeed a Perch, and a half decent one too at 1lb 9oz. After that fish no more bites were forthcoming and with the biting wind picking up I decided to call it a day. Snitterfield is a big water so locating the Perch is the hardest task I but it's the sort of water where I bet there's a big one to be caught. With the rivers flooded and the close season nearly upon us, I'm looking forward to trying again.





3 comments:

  1. I have heard of Snit producing big perch in the past from Owen the previous bailiff Mick. A couple of years ago I gave it a bit of a go trying to catch one myself, but in all honesty all I found was tiny little perch the size of my thumb. The one you have caught there is the biggest Sargent I have seen out of snit! But I think you have to be right that there are big ones in there, it's just a case of time and patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time and patience, that's the issue as you say, it's a bit too easy to drive a few mile down the road to Warwick and catch a specimen at first attempt.It's an interesting water though, no doubt about that.

      Delete
  2. That's many times bigger than any perch I've had from there. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...